Thursday, January 5, 2012

New year, New approach!

It's hard to believe that we are already into the new year.  This is the time of year when people think about and recommit to taking better care of themselves, hoping to seize each moment and make them all count in a positive way.




Over the past week, I have also taken some time to reflect on my PCOS health journey, seeing how far I have come and dreaming about where I want to go this year.  The sad fact is that I let some things slide the last few weeks due to the holidays, sick kids, extra commitments,etc. You know the drill too, I am sure.


It's hard to keep our needs on the list sometimes; life has a way of pushing the important things aside and before we know it, our dreams and goals, even our needs, haven't been thought about, worked on, or achieved.


Fitness is a crucial part of your strategy in treating your PCOS; it's part of the whole-body, holistic approach to treating the causes of PCOS and the symptoms.  Most of us would admit that we don't care much for exercise and some may actually admit hating it completely.  I know all about that since I have been there and done that.  But, we can change our attitude and therefore,change our reality by learning how to enjoy moving our bodies and seeing the transformation it can cause in ourselves.



I don't know about you, but I want to take an active role in becoming the best I can be and proactively work on treating and maintaining my PCOS symptoms..., and one of the best, proven ways to lower our insulin and therefore reduce our symptoms is moving our bodies!!!


This evening, I had eaten something that raised my post-eating blood sugar levels to 135 - not that high per se, but high for me.  I felt sick, sluggish, and SO sleepy.  I was sitting with my head down on the table - almost snoring.  I knew that I needed to MOVE my body, get my blood pumping, and that excess sugar in my blood INTO my muscles to work for me!  I needed to MOVE MY BODY!


So, I laced up my shoes, put in my DVD to Walk at Home, and I started walking.  Before I knew it, I was perking up and feeling better.  I walked a mile in 20 minutes and felt so much better about myself and I KNEW I had proactively done something to improve my health.  After checking my sugar again once I finished, it was 85!  Yes, my dear ones - exercise can do more than just make your body look good; it can sweep that extra blood sugar into those cells and keep your insulin levels down!  Lowered insulin means you are treating your PCOS - and that's one of our main goals this year, isn't it?  It is for me!



We are going to start a new Fitness Challenge for January - and it's all about busting a move and getting your groove on girl!  It's all about dancing - and you get to choose how, when, and where!  All we want to have you do is SHARE with us on the Facebook page what you are doing to get your Groove ON!  


We want to see your pictures, status updates, and hear all about your music selections on our Facebook page!  Let's shake it up baby and Power Up for PCOS in 2012 by getting our dance on!


See you around Facebook!


Gina




*Remember: I am not a medical or fitness professional and I am just sharing what I am doing in this Challenge as a fellow member of your community. Please check with your doctor before starting any exercise program to ensure that you are healthy enough for physical activity/exercise. *

No comments:

Post a Comment