Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wellness Wednesdays: Snacking For Your Health


Last week I posted about the importance of breakfast and listed some healthier ideas for you to try for your morning meals.  

This week, I wanted to share with you some snack ideas to help keep your blood sugar balanced throughout the day and curb those nasty cravings for sugar-laden treats.  I personally eat every 2 to 3 hours, so a snack a couple hours after breakfast and a couple hours after lunch.  Since I work full time, I need to make sure that my snacks are easy to take with me and grab when I'm running out the door in the morning.  

Fruits and veggies are always a good pick as they can get you fuller faster and they are chocked full of essential vitamins and minerals.  Here's a few of my favorite veggie snacks that are easy to enjoy at your desk or at home:
  • Celery w/ organic peanut butter and 2 or 3 whole almonds (i like to take a veggie peeler to the celery stalks to remove those pesky strings)
  • Carrot sticks (this is a great way to use up a bag of carrots you bought for a meal, but didn't use all of them)
  • Apples and peanut butter (be sure to get organic apples!)
  • Veggies and Hummus (I like carrots, celery and cucumbers)
  • Kale Chips (link to recipe)

Besides fruits and veggies, there are tons of other tasty snacks you can indulge in. Here's a few:
  • Belvita breakfast biscuits (minimally processed, no preservatives, slow carb release and FILLING, comes in 4 flavors, great for trips where you don't have a fridge or cooler)
  • Homemade granola bars
  • Healthy trail mix (I like getting this in bulk at Fred Meyer with a good mix of nuts and seeds and some raisins)
  • A couple crackers with Laughing Cow cheese
  • Nitrate-free deli meat, maybe with some cheese
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Plain yogurt with your favorite flavors added in (I like to put in vanilla and cinnamon, or even pumpkin pie spice!)
  • Black beans and salsa warmed up in a small whole wheat tortilla

What are some of your favorite snack ideas?  I would love to hear them!!


Written by: Crystal Warren, Representative for Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  To find our more, visit http://www.powerupforpcos.com, email info@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)
Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS
*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.*

No comments:

Post a Comment