Thursday, September 13, 2012

Does a 5K seem intimidating? It doesn't have to be!


(picture found here)


     I am so excited to realize that our Power Up for PCOS 5K is coming up soon - but, on the other hand, I had been hoping to be in "better" condition before the BIG DAY!  I know that I am probably not the only one who may be thinking that I have bitten off more than I can chew in planning to be a part of this special day.... If that's you, here's some encouragement and things to remember as we approach the starting line!

     First of all, a 5K translates to 3.1 miles.  Most walkers can achieve that length within 1.5 hours of walking at a good speed. (I don't plan to be running the 5K - my poor knees!  :-)   I know that I haven't been walking that length of distance on a daily basis lately, but I know that I have done it within the last month AND I am in the condition that I know that I can do it again!  I have a feeling that if you are also a person who walks on a regular basis (3-4 times a week here and there), does weekly shopping at the grocery store, AND can spend hours at the Mall walking with your girlfriends, it won't be a huge undertaking to join in with us at our Event on September 29th!

   If you are still worried about the last minute details, I will share a few things that I have learned by participating in a 5K last year:

  1. Make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes AND that you have been wearing them to walk for a few weeks BEFORE the event day.  You need to have them broken-in and comfortable before using them to walk the 3.1 miles,
  2. Think about investing in a pair of good walking/exercise socks.  Again, you need to do what you can to take care of your footsies during the event.  Wearing these special socks will ensure that you minimize blisters and have good support for your feet.
  3. Be sure to be eating adequate protein and drinking enough water to prepare your body for this Walk. I will be leading the Walk in Arizona and I know this is something I will be stressing to the ladies who join in with me.  Not only should you drink before the event, but drinking while walking and during your recovery afterwards will keep your muscles from cramping up.
     I hope that this short article has helped relieve your concerns or hesitation to join in with our Walk on September 29th!  If you haven't registered yet, it's not too late!  Please go here for more information and to sign up!  In walking as a team, we can show how we are powering up for PCOS and doing what we can to support research for PCOS and other hormonal disorders!

(picture found here)

If you need more reading on the subject and extra motivation and tips, go here:




Hope that you'll join me!  See ya around Facebook!

Gina Weeks, AZ Volunteer Representative for Power Up for PCOS

Written by: Gina Weeks, AZ Representative for Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  To find our more, visit http://www.powerupforpcos.com, email info@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)



Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS

*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment