Thursday, September 27, 2012

Meet Our Representative of the Month


Meet Our Representative of the Month!


Crystal, the Washington Representative for Power Up for PCOS, goes above and beyond to get her state involved in PCOS awareness and action.  Her PCOS story is below.

My PCOS story

Ever since I was around 14 or 15 I began having inconsistent cycles, to the point where they would not stop.  Scared and concerned, I went to a doctor who just gave me birth control pills to regulate my cycles.  As I grew older, other symptoms appeared, making me very self-conscious and ever aware of how different from the norm I was.  I continued seeing a couple different doctors, even had an ultra-sound, but not one mentioned PCOS.  Birth control pills were still the only solution they could give me.  Frustrated and not wanting to be on the pill any longer, I gave up on doctors. Fast-forward 13 years- after being married for 5 years without conceiving, still battling cycle issues, hormone imbalances, hair issues, and depression, I was referred by a friend to a different doctor who specialized in hormonal issues.  She was the first one to even bring up PCOS and had me tested immediately.  Upon receiving the results I was diagnosed, given a handful of papers to read about diet and exercise as well as other drugs I could take to manage my PCOS.  I felt so lost and overwhelmed, but relieved to at least know the name of what was wrong with me.  

My search began immediately for a support group I could go to, other women I could learn from and talk with.  There were none.  All the information I would find online conflicted with each other and was confusing.  I even considered starting my own group just to talk with other ladies that might understand- then I found Power Up for PCOS.  I love being about to help other women triumph over their PCOS.  The educational segments empower us, our discussions  help us to not feel alone and the events build us up.  I'm so glad to be part of such a wonderful group and look forward to growing and reaching out to more women who are trying to figure out this whole PCOS thing on their own. 


Written by: Crystal Warren, Representative for Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  To find our more, visit http://www.powerupforpcos.com, email info@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)
Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS
*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.*

No comments:

Post a Comment