Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wellness Wednesdays: Making your own spices

In my quest to save money and eat cleaner, one of my earlier goals was to begin replacing common baking ingredients for healthier ones.  One of the first places I looked was my spice cupboard.  I usually use herbs to cook, but also dabble into spice mixes as well.  As I have learned, many of these store-bought spice mixes include unhealthy preservatives and some have MSG- including my favorite spice addiction- Johnny's seasoning salt.  Making your own spice mixes also allows you to tweak the flavors to your own liking.  I find that I love my homemade versions much better than the store-bought ones.

I wanted to share with you my favorite spice mixes that I use regularly and I love them!  If there are some that you use and love, please share them in the comments section below.  Enjoy!

Homemade Johnny's Seasoning
I love this on anything from chicken, popcorn, and roasts.


1 tbsp     Paprika
1 tsp       Course-Ground Pepper
1.5 tbsp  Salt (I use kosher or sea salt)
1 tsp       Garlic Powder





Taco Seasoning
Use 2 tablespoons of this seasoning + 3/4 cups water for each pound of ground beef/turkey.

2 tbsp     Chili Powder
1/2 tsp    Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp    Onion Powder
1/2 tsp    Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp    Oregano
1 tsp       Paprika
1 tbsp     Cumin
2.5 tsp    Salt
2 tsp       Pepper
1 tsp       Corn Starch

Creole Seasoning
I LOVE this seasoning on chicken!

2 tbsp    Onion Powder
2 tbsp    Garlic Powder
2 tbsp    Oregano
2 tbsp    Basil
1 tbsp    White Pepper
1 tbsp    Black Pepper
1 tbsp    Thyme
1 tbsp    Cayenne Pepper
5 tbsp    Paprika
3 tbsp    Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment