Friday, August 24, 2012

Faithful Friday's: Prayer Time

Prayer Area                                                     Closet Door 

My Prayer Closet...
Lately, I have been feeling a need to spend more time alone with God.  Usually, that is not much of an option.  I have a family, a job, a hobby/side business, girl scout troop and of course Power Up for PCOS.  It doesn't leave much time left in the day.  Over the last few months I have worked so hard to rearrange my priorities and put God first.  I think I have done well but Prayer is one area that is lacking.

So this week, I was at fellowship and my Reverend's wife was talking about this prayer wall at Soul Fest.  She said every year she puts a request on it and every year something wonderful happens.  I liked this idea so much but wanted to figure out to make work in my home.  I started Googling prayer walls and came across some closets as well and that's when the light bulb went off.

I found a small hallway/closet.  It's actually my front door hallway that we don't use but it has a door so I consider it a closet.  Anyway, here is what I put in my Prayer Closet:
Small table
Chair
Writing utensils (pen, pencil, highlighter)
Tissues
Heart shaped sticky notes to write prayers on
Empty box of tissues marked Answered Prayers
Bible
Bible studies

I also made a stop at dollar tree and picked up some decorations like a small faith plaque and some cards that I liked the pictures and sayings on to hang on the wall.

Finally the door...  The door has glass panels on it and I felt I really needed my privacy.  My time with God can become emotional especially while in prayer (this is the reason for the tissues).  I decided to take construction paper and write out my favorite versus or other things that inspire me on them.  It worked great.  Nice and private.  

Here is a list of things that WILL NOT come into my Prayer Closet:
Phone
Computer
Food
Pets

I actually have a study I'm doing write now online but I watch the video part out in my main part of the house.  If I attempt to bring it in, I will get distracted.  I also make sure to leave my phone on the other side of the house too.  It happens often that I sit down to study and get a phone call.  This is stealing my time with God.  The world can wait for us just a bit.  It won't die.

One thing to take into consideration, talk to your family about this special place and your intentions of time in it.  I spoke with my family and they have taken part in using the prayer closet too but we make sure to respect each others time alone with God and to not disturb each other.

So there you have it, my new Prayer Closet.  So when I say I am praying for you, my family is.  Don't worry, I only put a first name and briefly what the request is for.  I encourage you to create your own special place with God where you can be alone with just Him and pray, listen and praise.  Do you have a special place alone with God?  If you do, what does it look like?


Written by: Beth Wolf, founder of Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  She can be reached by visiting http://www.powerupforpcos.com, emailing Beth@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)

Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS

*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.* 

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I've been hearing about prayer closets, but didn't know how to use one or set one up. It's great to see how you set it up and what you stocked it with. I think I'm going to do something similar at my home and be sure to put up prayer requests on the wall too- easy to see and update. Thanks Beth!

    ReplyDelete