Monday, August 6, 2012

Gearing up for the UPcoming 5K!


A man missing most of his legs is an accomplished Olympic sprinter. . . 

I'm all out of excuses. 

(posted by a friend on Facebook)








For those of us who have goals and plans to get more fit, there is a huge hurdle in getting from plans, goals, and dreams to the actual process of getting off the couch, putting on our exercise shoes, and actually moving.  I know and share this from experience; I am the typical busy, over-extended, and multi-tasking woman in the US. I have goals of walking/running our upcoming Power Up for PCOS 5K, but other than "the signing on the dotted line" and walking more here and there, I haven't been intentional in "training" for this event.

I walked a 5K last year - and I met my goal of completing it within an hour. (That was a big deal to me!)  In our 5K this September, I hope to make better time and see improvement in my time - but, I know that I have to make a plan to plan for success in this area.  Then I have to get my mind, body, and spirit in gear and in training mode to actually put my plan into place.  I don't know about you, but I always wake up in the morning with the best intentions about getting in my daily exercise... but then end up in bed later that day wondering how time got away from me, again.

So, I am making a commitment to myself and our Power Up for PCOS community:  I am starting to train for the Walk today and I will be documenting my progress here on the blog to (hopefully) motivate all of you to join in with me.  It doesn't matter your fitness level or personal history with exercise, most of us can see improvement in our lives by being intentional about simply moving more and starting where we are right now.  You'd be surprised at what you can achieve!  :-)


(This is me last year at the 5K!)

I hope you join me by taking time this next week to walk/jog/run 20 minutes on three days!  I will be following the plan found here, but you can just make a goal to walk in place for 20 minutes in comfortable shoes in a safe place. Sounds like a plan - so now I just have to purpose in my heart and put it on my schedule to see it done!

First job:  clean off the treadmill!  :-)  (Maybe I will post some pics of that.... Just keeping it real, KWIM?)

See ya around Facebook!

---Gina Weeks

Written by: Gina Weeks, Representative for Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  To find our more, visit http://www.powerupforpcos.com, email info@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)



Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS

*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment