Monday, August 20, 2012

How are you sleeping? What'cha eating?

     So, here we are on to week three of  "training" for our upcoming 5K... and things are going pretty well for me.  How are you doing?  The last two weeks I have worked on getting myself into a routine of walking 3-4 times a week and, therefore,  getting myself conditioned to walk more often.  This week, I am focusing on another aspect of fitness that all of us, 5K walkers or not, need to think about:  recharging our batteries (sleep) and eating quality fuel (foods).

     Sleep:  recharging our batteries

I have really been slacking on getting in my 7-8 hours a day for the last few weeks - - - and I can really feel it in my body and in my ability to cope with my stress levels.  I have heard it said that our best sleep of the night comes before midnight.  If that's the case, I haven't been getting in any good hours at all.  Not only am I getting to bed at or after midnight every night lately, I haven't been able to sleep soundly for those 7-8 hours. Starting tonight, this week I am going to get to bed as soon as I get tired (10-ish) and work on getting those healing zzzz's.  I am hoping to see a HUGE difference in my energy levels and in more stable emotions.




     Eating quality fuel:  building blocks for better health

This is another area that I have been getting sloppy in lately too.  Whether from lack of resources ($) or lack of time to take care of my needs in this area, I have been letting myself eat on the go, eat too much of certain things, or I am slacking on the amount of protein I need each day for energy and weight loss.  Just like with getting enough sleep, eating the right foods and certain amounts of them each day is crucial for your overall health.  I know for me, I have to eat a very protein-rich diet each day to feel right and be able to lose weight.    I haven't been focusing on myself and being balanced in this area for a while.  It's high time to get back in gear and take this seriously again.  Whether in challenging ourselves to walk a 5K or just keep up with our to do list, eating properly will help us be our best and meet whatever life will throw at us each day.


So, I am off to get into my week!  (Happy Monday!)  Hoping you join me in getting in some walking this week (20+ mins a day/3+ days), getting better sleep (getting to bed earlier), and remembering to focus on quality fuel (eating right)!

See ya around Facebook!

Gina

Written by: Gina Weeks, Representative for Power Up for PCOS which provides support to women with PCOS through educational Power Up Groups, building connections with other PCOS women, calendar of upcoming PCOS events, professional referrals and reviews, PCOS store, and other specialized events to raise money for PCOS research.  To find our more, visit http://www.powerupforpcos.com, email info@powerupforpcos.com or by calling 810-545-PCOS (7267)



Power Up for PCOS - emPowering Women to Manage PCOS

*Please note that I am not a medical professional. I am not qualified to give out any medical advice. I am a woman with PCOS who is sharing my personal experiences in this blog and I advise you to consult a professional.* 


No comments:

Post a Comment