Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My PCOS story - Shonda R.

Shonda R.
Day 2 Challenge- My PCOS story

High School for me was brutal.  I was overweight, awkward, and not like everyone else.  When I was 16, I was diagnosed with PCOS after going to the gynecologist because of irregular periods and “peach fuzz” that was rapidly growing on my face.  After my diagnosis, things got worse.  I gained more weight despite trying to lose it, and my peach fuzz was turning into a dark mustache that my parents refused to let me remove despite my pleas.  I was officially dubbed “the mustache lady” in my school and my humiliation carried with me to my adulthood.

I went through a period of my life where I had had enough of being overweight so I ended up not eating very much for three months…doing so resulted in me losing a lot of weight and finally feeling good about how I looked but what I didn’t realize is that I was making my PCOS condition worse.

Eventually, the weight started coming back on slow at first and then it seemed like all at once it was there and I weighed far more than I ever had in my life.

I was going through some aggravations with my Dr because nothing seemed to work to help me and my condition and she was extremely insensitive to my feelings.  I ended up leaving her and that started my on again off again fight with myself to even go to a Dr. to help treat PCOS.

Several years went by and despite having finally lost 100 pounds on my own with determination and hard work, I was still grossly overweight and I had finally hit my plateau.

Recently, I got married and we have been talking about starting our family but have not had any success at all.  On July 18th, I started a cycle that still to this day has not ended (October 11).

This concerned me so I made an appointment with a new Gyno that I was referred to.  I went today for my appointment where I found out that I was going to have a biopsy because she thought I was showing signs of either pre-cancer or cancer.  I now have to wait until the results come back before knowing what my future holds.

Prior to today I have been in PCOS denial.  Telling myself that no matter what, I will get pregnant and have children all the while not being honest with my own fears and allowing myself to prepare for what I had to face today.

All I’ve ever wanted was to be a Mom.  I am determined that one day I will be and have finally accepted that adoption is the way that I am meant to take.  It is my only desire and dream to help other women like me who are unsure, scared, and don’t know what way to turn.  Being aware of the disease and knowing your options are two very important things I have learned this last year.  Though I may never be rid of the disease, I can and will control it.  It is in my power to change my life and control my future…it is in your power to do so with your life as well…will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment